Tuesday 20 October 2015

The Brightening Game: Arcona Brightening Drops, Dermaceutics Mela Cream, Andalou Enlightening Serum & Jurlique Purely Bright

So there's been this pigment spot I got last year...


The thing about pigment spots is that they are easy to contract, but super-difficult to get rid of. Somewhat like a STD? And the continious functioning and re- re- re- applying sunblock as the contraceptive? Or, abstain from the sun if you want to be safest!

Yes, I already had a couple of IPL laser session but some pigment is still there. I have brought in four of these creams that make a difference. 


 Arcona Brightening Drops

 

Arcona is classified as natural but with a Cosmeceutical approach. This is the most liquidy of the four. It feels like a essence or toner that feels slightly zingy when applied. I apply it topically on the spot itself, as all over.
Ingredients:
Agua (Distilled Water), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Azelaic Acid, Gallic Acid, Lactic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) Ester, Kojic Acid, Arbutin, Red Raspberry (Rubus idaeus) Extract, Bilberry Extract, Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis) Seed Extract. 
----
 The main focus is on exfoliation by the various acids with a natural background. Arbutin, Vitamin C and Bilberry are ingredients that target hyperpigmentation

Dermaceutics Laboratoire Mela Cream:

 

I got this from a dermalogist who was probably too busy to give me IPL and adviced me this cream instead (I know, how weird, right?). It packs a lot of active ingredients that target lightening, like:
Kojic, Salicylic, Phytic and Mandelic acids, Arbutin, Niacinamide, Retinol and Licorice Extract.

It does feel like a real retinol treatment that you have to build up the intensity over time. I alternate it with Arcona brightening drops and use it in the evening about twice a week.

Andalou Tumeric & C Enlightening Serum

 

I finally went back to my early thirties habit of Vitamin C! I actually feel this one is the most effective of the four in terms of making my skin more glowy. I've been using it for two weeks now (morning) and since then my skin gotten brighter. Best thing, unlike the two above: this one does not sting and feels even calming.

Ingredients:
Aloe Barbadensis Juice*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil*, Vegetable Glycerin, Cyamopsis Tetragonolobus (Guar) Gum*, Fruit Stem Cells (Malus Domestsica, Solar Vitis) and BioActive 8 Berry Complex*, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Extract*, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Lauric Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitis Vinifera (Grape Seed) Polyphenols, Borago Officinalis (Borage) and Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Oils*, Glyceryl Monolaurate, Linum Usitatissimum (Flax), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) and Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Oils*, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Extract*^, Laminaria Digitata (Kelp) Extract, Allantoin, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Phenethyl Alcohol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil* 

Wholey Cow (must be the Tumeric), there is a buckload of effective ingredients in there. I already take tumeric as a morning drink so I believe in its clarifying properties.  I could rave a while but look at makeupalley.com who loves it too (here).
 

Jurlique Purely Bright Night Moisturizer

 

One of my mid-thirties brighteners I come back to every time. It takes a month or two but I feel it has an effect on me.

Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Heptyl Undecylenate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, SD Alcohol 40-A (Alcohol Denat.), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Squalane, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Rosa Gallica Flower Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Viola Odorata (Sweet Violet) Extract, Viola Tricolor (Pansy) Extract, Sambucus Nigra (Black Elder) Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Prunella Vulgaris Leaf Extract, Terminalia Ferdinandiana (Kakadu Plum) Fruit Extract, Anogeissus Leiocarpus Bark Extract, Cichorium Intybus (Chicory) Root Extract, Fragrance (Parfum*), Tocopherol, Silica, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane, Totarol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Limonene*, Linalool*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Eugenol*, Benzyl Benzoate*, Isoeugenol*.
 
 

Even a longer list. I am most enthousiastic about the liquorice compound in this one. It it not a completely natural brand but I seem to tolerate the rest of the ingredients as well. It smells somewhat soothing like a light babypowder.

Up close, serum-y

Arcona has the most liquidy texture, Dermaceutic is your typical Retinol with a kick and slightly more lotion-y. Andalou is a light daycream and Jurlique is also quite light for a nightcream. 

 Obviously, I use all four for a different reason. The ingredients of each are different but still came out as effective in (some) studies. Ok Ok, I am sceptical enough not to believe "studies say"-rhetorics but when various outcomes are good, I'm willing to try. 
My skin is rather sensitive but I can tolerate most of them at the time being. I hope I can still brighten the *&^ out of that spot before winter time.


Then it will be time to balm up again in all types of soothing concoctions....

So what's your Brightening Game?

1 comment:

Citrine said...

I just bought the Andalou today (along with cleanser and night cream) I reckon it doesn't hurt to try because the three add up to the same price as haba white lady...let see how it works since I want my face the same color as my neck(and rest of the body).